Re: Survey: utility of packaging Hipparcos star catalog?

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 04:16:53PM -0700, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:
> * Question 0: Does (or can) the astronomy software you maintain make use
> of the Hipparcos data in any way?  (If not, there's no need to reply,
> although you can of course weigh in anyway.  Note, I consider the much
> larger Tycho catalog [5] to be separate and have no plan to package it.)

I maintain gcx. It uses the Tycho and GSC/ACT catalogues (the former for
astrometry and photometry, the latter just for astrometry).

Astronomy, biology and medicine have a lot of common issues, eg. images
and huge datasets. How they deal with it?
(I remember a recent thread <somewhere> regarding the mirror infrastructure
use/abuse by those big-but-not-widely-used packages, but I can't remember
where it was) :(

ciao
Riccardo