Re: OpenFOAM

Marco, I think it's better if we keep the discussion on-list.

On 15/03/2008, Marco Moscaritolo <mavimo@gmail.com> wrote:
 >  > I had a look at its build system, and it definitely looks
 >  > like it's pre-GNU and probably a pain to package.
 >

 > Sorry, I don't undestand, you talk about wmake?

Yeah, I've never seen wmake before... but that's only half of it.

 Installing this thing is a mess! It really trashes your system
 configuration! Creates tons of environment variables, modifies your
 $PATH, expects to be compiled with its own version of gcc... I think I
 see now why it's not packaged for Debian. It's policy-breaking in many
 ways.

 I guess this is because it's such an old piece of software. The GNU
 build process was supposed to take away this mess.

 - Jordi G. H.