Re: Desktop menu categories

On 8/19/07, Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> wrote:
> Le Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 06:02:55PM -0700, Jordan Mantha a écrit :
> >
> > I wrote the freedesktop.org xdg mailing list about this issue back in
> > June [1]. My proposal was to romote Science to a main category. There
> > was concern about how to deal with legacy  issues. What happens if
> > somebody installs a .desktop on an "older" distro (say etch or Fedora
> > Core 6)?
>
> Hi all,
>
> I think that I do not get the point : isn't the concept of a distro to
> install programs through packages? If somebody backports a recent
> program to FC6 or Debian Etch, then it is straightforward to patch the
> .desktop file to add `Application' back.

I believe the concern was not distro supplied packages, but rather new
upstream releases being installed on "legacy" systems. So if I was
running etch and I built some app from source, either because it
doesn't exist in Debian or I wanted a newer version than what exists
in the repos, the concern was how the menu item would be handled. I
personally think that this is enough of a corner case that it
shouldn't stand in the way of progress.

-Jordan