Re: Desktop menu categories

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007, Jordan Mantha wrote:

On 8/18/07, Carlo Segre <segre@iit.edu> wrote:

I wrote the freedesktop.org xdg mailing list about this issue back in
June [1]. My proposal was to romote Science to a main category. There
was concern about how to deal with legacy  issues. What happens if
somebody installs a .desktop on an "older" distro (say etch or Fedora
Core 6)? Hopefully the menu item would be dropped to the "Other"
submenu, but I'm not sure we can guarantee that, especially because of
a Gnome bug [2] that recently got fixed that required Application to
be a category, which is not in the freedesktop.org spec. I personally
think it's worth the possible legacy problems to get it right for the
future.

If people are really interested in freeing Science from the "tyranny"
of Education then I can submit a patch to the menu spec and see where
it goes. I as going to back in June but got sidetracked with life.

I support this. I just don't find it natural to look under Education for data analysis software (as an example).

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics
Illinois Institute of Technology