Re: debian-science and science-* packages

Hi,

Christian Holm Christensen <cholm@nbi.dk> (2007-08-26 10:46:38) :
> On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 08:30 -0700, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:
> > On 8/24/07, Frederic Lehobey <Frederic@lehobey.net> wrote:

> > > I am unsure if it is ready to be uploaded to unstable. But I would be
> > > happy to hear your feedback and suggestions on dependencies to have
> > > (or not) and take them into account.
> > >
> > >   http://lehobey.net/debian-science
>
> Erhm, any particular reason this is not a "real" apt-get repository?
> I'd suggest using "reprepro" (the one from unstable is really cool).

Well, the goal was not to setup a new repository but to share the
source code.  :-)

Actually, now, Andreas is kindly hosting the debian-science source
package in Alioth CDD resources
(https://alioth.debian.org/projects/cdd/).

You can actually build the latest version of the packages in the
following way (anonymous access):

$ svn checkout svn://svn.debian.org/svn/cdd/projects/science/trunk
$ cd trunk/debian-science
$ svn-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -us

I have updated the prospective packages. Thanks to Lisandro Damián
Nicanor Pérez Meyer, Kevin B. McCarty, Christian Holm Christensen,
Riccardo Stagni and Charles Plessy for their feedback that I have
taken into account.

> > 3) science-physics should definitely recommend root-system once that's
> > out of experimental.
>
> I would certainly second that (as I'm the maintainer of that set of

Done.

> Some other questions/suggestions
>
>       * I see (though I may have missed it) no mention of GSL - perhaps
>         that should be added to one of `-statistics', `-mathematics', or
>         `-physics'.

Yes. I am undecided about what to do with the GSL libraries. Maybe
should we split the packages in science-* and science-*-dev (as is
doing Debian-Med).

Suggestions of relevant package lists and patches are welcome.  :-)

>       * Perhaps `-physics' should recommend `-statistics'.

Done (suggested actually).

>       * On principle, I think the `-electronics' package should `depend'
>         on `ghdl' (and `freehdl') at the same level as `verilog', if not
>         at a higher level :-) (I really dislike Verilog relative to VHDL
>         - it's like Fortran77 and C++ - once you've done C++, Fortran
>         seems plain silly :-)

Done.

>       * `-viewing' should perhaps also depend on `g3data'.

Done.

>       * The `-astronomy' package should also depend on what-ever
>         implementation that exists in Debian of `IDL' (Interactive Data
>         Language).  For some odd reason, that language seems popular
>         among astrologists - sorry astronomers :-)

pdl is already there. And as regards gnudatalanguage:
http://bugs.debian.org/304159

Best regards,
Frédéric Lehobey