Re: BALLView: new package version

On Friday 20 April 2007 08:04:52 Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007, Andreas Moll wrote:
> > Well, the only packages that provide fancyheadings are
> > tetex-extra and tetex-src.
> > If these two packages do not exist, there are further problems with
> > building the tutorial's PDF.
>
> What happens if you do a 's/fancyheadings/fancyhdr/'.  According to
> the TeX experts this would be a reasonable patch even for upstream.
>
> >>  * You should make clear in debian/copyright which parts of the upstream
> >>    tarball you removed (as I understand it, you repackaged it).
> >
> > I just removed the build support for MacOS and Windows which wont be
> > needed. Do I really need to mention this?
>
> It does not harm to mention what was removed.
>
> >>  * Can you convince upstream that CF_VERSION_CHECK is maybe not needed?
> >>    You work around it by touching config.lic, which doesn't look very
> >>    nice either (if that code wasn't written by upstream, anyway).  As
> >>    BALL is LGPL, I see no reason to bother the user with a "Yes, I
> >>    agree" kind of stuff similar to Windows EULAs.
> >
> > I will try, but my boss wrote it himself. Therefore, I guess he wont let
> > it be removed.
>
> Sorry for the German quote in an ENglish mailing list, but my fortune
> cooky of yesterday was:
>
>    Zivilcourage nennt man das, was von einem Mann übriggeblieben ist,
>    wenn sein Chef das Zimmer betreten hat!
>                  -- Wernher Freiherr von Braun (Physiker)
>
> ;-)

Haha, and when you follow him you will be sent to the moon ... For your
discussion with your boss (is it O.K. ?) please make him aware that the
maintainer of your ballview package should kind of in routine update to
Debian unstable. Considerations like the ones your are having at the moment
preventing you to upload are only relevant at the brink of a new stable
release when testing is frozen and you consider the new version as too
unstable or so.

Best regards

Steffen

--