Re: Installing the whole set of scientific packages

El Domingo 11 Febrero 2007 14:28, Michael Gilbert escribió:
> hello,
>
> one of my professors just switched to Debian, and he was complaining
> that there was no easy way to install all of the scientific packages
> (compared to Fedora where he could just select the check mark next to
> "science" in their package manager gui and get everything he needed).
> instead he has to manually apt-get everything he needs with debian.
> is there any way to easily install all the scientific apps/libraries?
>
> thanks for any thoughts.  have a good day.

The only way I see to do it is trough synaptic (or aptitude). If your
professor used to use Red Hat, perhaps synaptic would be the best approach
(while I prefer comannd-line aptitude, but that's another history).
Using the "Sections" view, there are three Cience-reated topics. Science,
Science contributions and Science non-free (of course, it depends on wich
repositoires he has configured).

Perhaps a metapackage should be done, best if coordinated through this list. I
understand that it would be _too_ difficult due to the quantity of
science-related packages, but from a begginers point of view, it wouldn't be
so much a bad idea.
And, why not, in the package description, add some info pointing to this
list ;-)

Regards, Lisandro.

persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore all
  George Bernard Shaw

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
https://perezmeyer.com.ar/ si es un desafortunado usuario de Speedy