Re: Scientific computing newbie

Hello Benda, (do I address you correctly?)

great to hear that Debian is used in your community. We had IT and electrical
engineering students as visitors from China and India with us over the summer
who said that it was all Windows back home. For me it was pure fun using a
Chinese Windows environment on their laptops - since then I suddenly consider
the localisation efforts much more important.

Back to your question: You are doing just fine. Read reviews on the net to
learn about what individual packages can do. This helps you to find answers
to problems you have or spawns ideas for analyses you could possibly address.
There are several parts of it from how I see it:
 * using the right tools for the analysis of your mathematical / physical /
chemical / ...  problem
 * using the right tools to organise and monitor the CPUs for distributed
computation
 * using the right tools to visualised and document the results of your work

For each domain there is ample of opportunity to use Debian to your benefit.

I think it is just fine if you tell the list a bit more about what you want to
achieve. You might find someone with similar requirements who is willing to
share and explain his setup. While I am not aware of an FAQ, you might be
interested to skim the DebianScience wiki page at
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience

Best regards

Steffen