Re: How much interest in a "debian-science.org" repository?

Hi,

Have been buzy the last few days and come back to see great activity on
this list!

As Frederic reported, we were already discussing such a repository at
last Libre Software Meeting (4-8 july).Good o see people here seems to
enjoy such an idea.

Daniel Leidert wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 19.07.2006, 20:20 +0200 schrieb Michael Hanke:
>>On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 12:07:40PM -0400, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:
>>I think this is a great idea and Debian-science community could gain a
>>lot with this central repository. But IMHO its success might depend
>>on the details:

>>2. What are the requirements a package has to meet to be included in the
>>repository (e.g. license)?

>>If a package is perfect in any sense it could obviously go directly
>>into the Debian archive.

> That is indeed an interesting point: Should such a repository also be a
> place to show the scientific package(s) and search for sponsors? Or
> should it just be a place to put packages, which cannot go into Debian,
> because of e.g. licensing issues?

That's both, but for package who could eventually end-up into Debian,
then it's a place to reach the needed quality and visibility to be
sponsored. A place where a wanabe-maintainer can show her ability to
support her package good enough for a sponsor from Debian to accept it.

As we discussed at LSM, going into Debian in a huge step for most of us:
we dont have the experience, and a sponsor would have to trust us enough
to accept it. The debian-science repository could be a lower entry point
where the pacakge and the maintainer get the needed maturity to enter
Debian.

>>3. Who will be able to upload packages?
>>2. Perhaps a procedure similar to Alioth would be a reasonable way to deal
>>   with upload rights: Potential contributers explain what they want to
>>   provide and get upload rights if they provide a solid explanation.
>>   From that point on they have the right to upload new packages, but
>>   not to upload new versions of packages already in the archive where
>>   they are not (co-)maintainers. DDs might be an exception of the rule.
>>   This should not limit the number of contributors and introduces a
>>   minimal protection against bad guys.
>
> Maybe a sponsor-like way would be good. That means: DDs can check the
> work of non-DDs. When they think, the package is OK, they should sponsor
> the upload. During such a sponsor-time, sponsors can check the work and
> maybe the intention of contributors. And if such a contributor is doing
> his work correctly, he could be added to the list of allowed uploaders
> directly and can then be a sponsor too. This of course needs a high
> trust level.

Good for me.

>>   The main disadvantage is that somebody has to implement this.
> Then this is just a question of an uploaders keyring.
> But this is of course an interesting point.

Debian likely have tools for this, as we are basically mimiking its
structure? Unfortunately, I dont know much about this subject.

	Yannick

- --
 _/ Yannick Patois _________________ Address (home) __________________
| irc(undernet): Garp on #france25+ | 7, rue de Brumath                |
| http://garp.feelingsurfer.net/    | 67170 Rottelsheim                |
| Tel-home: +(33)(0)3 88 68 89 58   | FRANCE                           |
| Le Portail des Copains : http://rezo.net                             |