NumPy / SciPy packages

Hi guys and girls,

I'd like to offer to help with packaging NumPy for Debian.  For those
who don't know, NumPy is a replacement for both Numeric and numarray,
and will soon reach version 1.0.  Upstream development of Numeric has
now ceased, and development of numarray will also cease within a few months.

I see that some progress was made a few months ago with an experimental
package, but it's now out of date and needs some attention.  Could
someone please give me an update on the current status of the
python-numpy packages?

I'm one of the SciPy developers, and I'd be happy to contribute to the
SciPy package too, which is now quite out of date.  Recent versions of
SciPy now have NumPy as a dependency.

-- Ed