Re: jabref destiny

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 01:20:37PM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

> Since recent sun java entered official debian non-free I thought to
> raise back discussion on jabref packaging for debian.

Good idea ;-)

> I am not sure what Gregor's intent is regarding the package: I've
> downloaded .deb from your repository and it installed seemlessly. deb
> was lintian/linda clean and it seems that it was maintained by him for a
> while now, and even reflected recent inclusion of java into debian.

Thanks for the feedback.

> Gregory, would you mind being official maintainer for the package
> and seeking the sponsor for it (may be someone  debian science  DD would
> be motivated enough to become permanent sponsor ? :-)) Or there is
> something which forbids you from doing that?

The problem from my point of view is that it builds in my normal
environment (with the Sun Java jre/jdk installed) but not in a
pbuilder chroot (because the Sun Java packages require a "Yes, I
agree with this licence" confirmation which obviously doesn't work in a
chroot) - I don't know what the buildds would do in that case.

Furthermore the future of Sun Java in Debian is a little unclear - to
put it mildly.

And I've tried to compile jabref with free java compilers but without
success so far.

So I'm a bit unsure what should be done about jabref.
If there is a consensus that it can (technically and
"politically") be included in the Debian archive I wouldn't mind
maintaining it (if there is a sponsor of course).

> P.S. Gregor, Unfortunately could not inspect jabref package thoroughly
>  since
>  http://www.toastfreeware.priv.at/debian/unstable/jabref_2.0.1+2.1b-2_i386.changes
>  lacking read permissions for us ;-)

That's a feature (bug?) of mini-dinstall.
You still can grab all other files from
http://www.toastfreeware.priv.at/debian/unstable/ though.

Cheers,
gregor