New Debianized source package for GEANT 4.8.0 Patch 01

(Or should that be "For those who care about GEANT4"?)

In between finishing writing my thesis and preparing for my defense, I
found a little bit of time to update my Debianized version of GEANT4 [1]
source packages to upstream's Patch 01 to version 4.8.0.  (That is, the
upstream version number is "4.8.0.p01".)  Updated source packages are here:

deb-src http://borex.princeton.edu/~kmccarty/ unstable main

In order to build the GEANT 4 source packages, you'll first need to have
the unofficial Debian packages of CLHEP 2 installed.  You can either
first build those from source (with the same deb-src line as above), or
obtain binary .debs of clhep2 and clhep2-dev from James Ferrando's
unofficial repository here:

deb http://www-zeus.desy.de/~ferrando/debian/ unstable hep

I cannot currently provide binary packages because the licensing status
of the code is unclear.  Still waiting to hear back from upstream about
it.  (Anyway, GEANT4 depends upon CLHEP which has similar issues.)  But
if someone else would like to do so, feel free; just don't blame me if
you get sued :-)  If you don't like this situation, please write to the
GEANT4 and CLHEP authors and politely request they give their code a
real license already.

I haven't tested whether it is possible to build these packages on
distributions other than Sid.  Also note that the build takes about 2
hours on a 2 GHz CPU and requires about 2 GB of disk space free.

Be aware that the library ABI has changed since the original 4.8.0
release (keeping ABI compatibility in C++ is often non-trivial and
doesn't seem to be a high priority of upstream).  So after building and
installing new GEANT4 .debs, you'll want to rebuild any
programs/libraries you may have compiled locally with dynamic linking
against the previous .debs.  The debian/changelog entry is below [2].

Once you've built and installed the packages via the usual procedure
[3], please see the README.Debian.gz in the geant4-common binary package
for environment variable and data file setup instructions.  (If you
already had the original Debian packages of 4.8.0 installed, little has
changed there except for an updated data file: G4NDL is now version 3.8.)

Footnotes follow:

[1] For anyone who doesn't know what GEANT 4 is, but would like to, here
is the package description:

Geant 4 is a toolkit for the simulation of the passage of particles
through matter.   Its application areas include high energy physics and
nuclear experiments, medical, accelerator and space physics studies.
The Geant 4 software consists of an extensive set of libraries,
fundamentally object-oriented and based in modern C++.  It may be used
to develop programs with command-line, Xaw-based, or Motif-based interfaces.

[2] The debian/changelog entry:

> geant4 (4.8.0.p01-1) unstable; urgency=low
>
>   * New upstream release: patch 01 to version 4.8.0.
>   * debian/rules: Bump soversion, as upstream's patch introduces new class
>     member functions and is therefore binary-incompatible.
>   * debian/defaults/install-geant4-data.conf:
>     - Downloads are now from http://geant4.cern.ch/support/source/
>     - G4NDL has new version 3.8; bump version number and change md5sum.
>   * debian/scripts/g4data.sh: Look for G4NDL3.8 rather than 3.7.
>   * debian/shlibs.local: Add shlib for clhep2 for now.
>   * debian/control.m4:
>     - Build-Depend on clhep2-dev (not clhep2) now that maintainer of
>       unofficial clhep2 packages has separated out development files.
>     - Build-Depend on libgl1-mesa-dev in preference to xlibmesa-gl-dev, which
>       has apparently gone away in Sid.
>     - Update GEANT 4 home page URL.
>   * Configure: comment out apparently pointless test for open fd 0, as
>     it breaks building under pbuilder
>   * debian/rules: Delete object files a second time after building static
>     libs, in order to save disk space.
>   * debian/watch: deal with rearrangement of the GEANT 4 web site.
>
>  -- Kevin B. McCarty <kmccarty@debian.org>  Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:01:34 -0500

[3] The "usual procedure":

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get build-dep geant4
sudo apt-get install fakeroot build-essential
apt-get source geant4
cd geant4-4.8.0.p01
fakeroot debian/rules binary
# can instead use "pdebuild" if you've configured pbuilder to use James
# Ferrando's repository as an extra source of .debs.
sudo dpkg -i ../*.deb

best regards,

- --