Re: Can you help me to test treeviewx?

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 08:20:42AM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote :
> On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 02:07:49PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Lastly, I have a few questions :
> >
> > - A gzipped empty changelog file is created, but I do not understand
> >   where it is coming from.
> Upstream or ./debian/changelog; probably installed by dh_installdocs,
> perhaps influenced by ./debian/docs.  Did you try exporting
> DH_VERBOSE=1?

Thanks for the hint. I figured out that the empty changelog is the one
from upstream, which is already empty in the original sources. I will
add a rm somewhere in debian/rules...

> > - The diff.gz contains some unwanted files named confing.sub and
> >   config.guess, which seem to be transferred from /usr/share by the
> >   rules file. however, I do not understand the purpose of this.
> Read /u/s/d/autotools-dev/.  Copying new versions of those files fixes
> bugs and allows building on newly-supported architectures.
>
> > 	# Add here commands to clean up after the build process.
> > 	-$(MAKE) distclean
> This is evil, see #325372 and threads on -mentors.
>
> > ifneq "$(wildcard /usr/share/misc/config.sub)" ""
> > 	cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.sub config.sub
> > endif
> > ifneq "$(wildcard /usr/share/misc/config.guess)" ""
> > 	cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.guess config.guess
> > endif
> The alternative to copying it in the clean target is to copy (or link)
> it in the configure (or build) target, and remove it in the clean
> target, which causes the .diff.gz to be shorter, more readable, and
> more source-like.

I have to admit that my knowledge of autoconf/automake in particular and
C/C++ in general is much too low to understand the situation...  This
part of the rules makefile were created automatically when I ran
dh_make, and I was very surprised that the if/endif statements can not
be removed. If you have a trick to prevent the config.* files to enter
the diff.gz part of the debian source package, please tell me. I'll
understand later.

Regards,

--
Charles Plessy