Re: [FYI] rasmol has been orphaned

On Monday 13 February 2006 21:53, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 01:35:34PM +0100, Egon Willighagen wrote:
> > >
> > > In the future of course. But maybe you saw it, the packaging files are
> > > outdated and must be rewritten. One thing I'm not sure about is, if the
> > > packaging files for these projects should better move to pkg-java. I
> > > will have enough time for working on these packages in 1-3 weeks and
> > > then we will see.
> >
> > I will try to get the new CDBS cleaned up for CDK and JChemPaint...
> > Putting it in pkg-java sounds like a good idea. I have an Alioth accont
> > already.
>
> Do those work with a free java stack now?

CDK and JChemPaint sure do; CDK is no problem as it is really a library, and
98% of our JUnit tests run succesfully... JChemPaint is a Swing program, but
starts, and you can even draw molecules, so that's a good thing too.

Please read details on my efforts of testing against Debian's Java stack in my
blog: http://chem-bla-ics.blogspot.com/

I'm working towards a debian based molecular (chemo-, bio-) informatics live
CD to take with me to scientific conference and to hand it out to interested
people...

BTW, we have been working this weekend making debs for Bioclipse, which will
depend on the CDK/JCP/Jmol debs too:

  http://wiki.bioclipse.net/index.php?title=Bioclipse_packaging_and_deployment

BTW, Jmol has more trouble with Classpath 0.20 in sid... the renderer
basically works, but is *very* slow...

> If yes, I'd be delighted to
> have them in Debian and could sponsor them.  If you want to go to
> pkg-java, that is fine as well, I don't know the criteria for putting
> stuff there.

pkg-java has a lot of experience with Java program packaging, and is, I think,
the most suited place for this stuff.

Egon

--
e.willighagen@science.ru.nl
PhD student on Molecular Representation in Chemometrics