Re: NumPy / SciPy packages

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 02:46:46PM +0200, Ed Schofield wrote:
> Hi guys and girls,
>
> I'd like to offer to help with packaging NumPy for Debian.  For those
> who don't know, NumPy is a replacement for both Numeric and numarray,
> and will soon reach version 1.0.  Upstream development of Numeric has
> now ceased, and development of numarray will also cease within a few months.
>
> I see that some progress was made a few months ago with an experimental
> package, but it's now out of date and needs some attention.  Could
> someone please give me an update on the current status of the
> python-numpy packages?
>
> I'm one of the SciPy developers, and I'd be happy to contribute to the
> SciPy package too, which is now quite out of date.  Recent versions of
> SciPy now have NumPy as a dependency.

Hi Ed,

It is true that these package are a bit lagging behind, and it is partly
my fault since I have not been very active lately -- way too much work
in $DAYJOB, and my activity as DD has suffered a lot from this.

I should be able to work on the scipy/numpy packages next week, and your
help is welcome. You way want to join the deb-scipy-devel list, which has not
been very active lately but is a nice channel to discuss packaging issues.
Subscription information is available at
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/deb-scipy-devel

Cheers