Re: Debian for Systems Biology

On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 10:34:47PM +0100, "Steffen Möller" wrote :

> > Wouldn't be useful to create a webpage like those
> > at http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/?
> >
> > Of course, actually systems biology inherit science more than medicine.
> > debian-science should have its own webpage, shouldn't it?
> Andreas Tille does a very good and reliable job that takes more time than
> you might anticipate. In short, "No!".

Hi,

On the other hand, the debian-med page lists a lot of software which is
only distantly related to medecine, and which would better be described
by "bioinformatics". I think that it somehow conceals what debian can
offer non-M.D. biologists.

But I think that the real problem is that most academic software is
non-free, as it often mentions "Do not make money with our work, or share
it with us". Thus splitting debian-med would result in dilluting sparse
packages into something not really useful.

Then, why don't we try to gather more packages related to computational
biology, and when a critical mass is reached, we could discuss with
Andreas and the debian-med people to ask if a renaming of the project
into something like debian-biomed would make sense?

I can help for testing or translating packages (a surprisingly big
number of computational biologists are very uncomfortable with english).
If there is a lot of packaging to do, well, you would have to teach
me...

Have a nice day,

--
Charles