Re: New source and binary Debian packages for ROOT.

On 1/25/06, Chris Roat <chris.roat@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am sure now that I pulled down the unstable version (-3), as that is
> what Christian announced.  But I do think the audience is stable - it
> is production, and -2 was in stable.  I thought the drop into unstable
> was just to signify that we were churning through and testing the
> install fixes.

No, the ROOT Debian packages in "unstable" are meant to be installed
on a system running Sid, while those in "stable" are meant to be
installed on a system running Sarge.  (Not quite sure which ones Etch
users are supposed to use.)  This explains the confusion.  The version
numbers only differ because (I guess) no one has built -3 for Sarge
yet.

> Again, though, this is off-my-original-post-topic of why put libraries
> in hidden places?

My understanding, from what Christian has told me, is that libMinuit
is a "plugin" -- it is meant to be loaded automatically from within
the depths of the ROOT libraries, so it doesn't need to be linked
against.  If you want to call a fitter explicitly within your own
code, you should use the TVirtualFitter base class and the
/etc/root/system.rootrc file, which have mechanisms for doing so.

That said, it appears that the RooFit code *incorrectly* uses
libMinuit-specific code without going through the plugin manager.  IMO
this is a bug, and it can probably be fixed using the suggested change
I gave in my previous email (sent from my princeton.edu account), in
addition to causing libRooFit *not* to be dynamically linked against
libMinuit at build time.

best regards,