Re: ubuntu-science

Hi

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 11:22:50PM -0800, Jordan Mantha wrote:
>   Ok, so the reason I sent this rather long email is that I think it
> would be a benefit to both the Debian and Ubuntu communities if we keep
> each other informed at least and work together where possible. I am
> encouraging the MOTUScience team members to at least email this list

Great, I will be joinng the list Monday and keeping a close eye, and
even help out where my skills allow.

I run 3 debian servers and 94 ubuntu clients for post graduate
mathematics and science at the African Institute for Mathematical
Sciences (http://www.aims.ac.za), which is now in it's third year,
and going from strength to strength. We are even looking at setting
up AMI-Net, an African Mathematical Institutes Network of 15 similar
institutes.

We are just starting to make available some resources at
http://www.aims.ac.za/resources
http://www.aims.ac.za/wiki

especially the python pages on the wiki. Most important to me would be
to see the new scipy structure packaged for dapper! However we also rely
heavily on gnuplot, octave, maxima, pari-gp, singular, and many others.

regards,
Jan

Muizenberg, Cape Town, South Africa
--