Re: ITK Debian packaging

Hello all,

I did the original ITP for packaging ITK quite some time ago, and have
produced several packages since, with a new one on the way.

The packages were originally available from mentors.debian.net but they had
a server crash and ended up not hosting binaries because of the bandwidth.
Since then I've mostly hosted them on my own site.  The packages I've built
have been announced on the main ITK mailing list, linked from the ITK docs
and website.

Version 2.2 of ITK has just been released, and I'm about to publish a new
version of the debs that I've been working on.  The idea is for these to go
into Debian-Med.

Guanglei, it's a shame you didn't check for ITPs, do a search or contact me
before going ahead with this.  I've had a look at your debs, and it appears
it doesn't do much beyond package up a default build/install.  There's a
number of issues that I've already solved in packaging ITK to conform to the
Debian standards (altering paths, configuring shared libraries, library
versioning, configuring bundled libraries, excluding patented code, etc,
etc).  Also there's CableSwig etc and the Applications bundle.

There's no point duplicating the effort, especially when there's already
packages out there that people have been using.  Perhaps you can find
another project that needs packaging?  I'm sure Andreas Tille from
Debian-Med could suggest some packages that need attention if you wish to
contribute in this area?

  :: Gavin

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 01:44:53PM +0200, Yannick Patois wrote:

> Alexandre Fayolle wrote:

> >>I found this: http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~gavinb/projects/itk.php (didnt
> >>found any references to itk from the debian list search engine).
> > The thread starts at
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2005/09/msg00161.html
>
> There I read: "I have packaged InsightToolkit (www.itk.org) for Debian",
> on Gavin's page I read "I am the package maintainer of ITK for Debian
> GNU/Linux.".
>
> I hope there have not been duplicated work on that matters.
>
> 	Yannick

  :: Gavin

--
Gavin Baker                                      Complex Systems Group
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~gavinb             The University of Melbourne