ROOT as A replacement for gnuplot

Hi Damián,

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <perezmeyer@infovia.com.ar> writes:

> Hi everyone! Yesterday, the guys at the local LUG and I were wondering
> in which project we could possibly offer some help / create.
> In the first moment, I thought about a 100% GPL replacement for gnuplot
> (I mean, without things like the statement in gnuplot's licence about
> ¿binaries? distribution). But then I remembered that someone here wrote
> that she/he already begun a project like this.
> As we are evaluating which way we are going to take, if there's a
> possibility that we would be able to help, just e-mail me.

In my opinion, ROOT (http://root.cern.ch/) already provides a superset
of gnuplot features.  It is true that it is more sophisticated and so
it does take additional effort to become proficient as compared to
gnuplot.  So, I would suggest if people are interested in replicating
gnuplot that they instead consider writing a gnuplot-like interface to
ROOT.

-Brett.