Re: Mathematica and Windows

Hi

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 04:17:26PM +0530, Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
> I beg to disagree. As far as I know: number theorists use g-pari/kant,
> group theorists use gap and commutative algebra/algebraic geometry
> people use macaulay/singularity. While none of these are packaged for
> Debian most of them do not have a license as restrictive as Mathematica.
> I would also add that programs written in them tend to run significantly
> faster than corresponding mathematica ones.

Pari, gap, and singular are packaged, though singular is not in the
debian archives, obtain it from their own site.

There are many more not on the list above...

> However, these are packages written by mathematicians for
> mathematicians. What you want is perhaps a package written for those who
> do not want to worry about the mathematical details :)

Have a look at the singular documentation and interface, it is real
nice. As soon as surf matures there will be added graph capabilities.

> > 1. Is there no GNU CAS that even comes close to Mathematica?
> In the sense that you mean perhaps not. There is similarly no user
> environment in GNU that comes even close to Mac OS X --- perhaps the
> aims are different. (See Linus' recent rant to the effect that if you
> make an environment which assumes that people using it are stupid
> then only stupid people will use it).

Is there no mathematica licence that comes even close to GPL?

cheers,
Jan

--
   .~.