Re: Mathematica and Windows

Hi

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 11:28:17AM +0100, Stephan Gromer wrote:
> >The code is open, so change it to fit your desires.
> >
> I am sorry to say that but this is the usual answer to this kind of
> complain that Yigal has raised. And it is as naiv as well (as is my
> following reply I guess).

Yes, phrased badly, bad nonetheless there is an important point. A more
specific query (maxima doesn't integrate function f properly, singular
doesn't calcualte basis g properly, octave doesn't plot h nicely via
gnuplot) will be constructive, as opposed to a general rant. I could
write a long general rant about the lack of freedom in mathematica. And
the cost, etc. Let's rather say, my sepcific problems are not being able
to afford a licence which allows us to:

* look at the code and tinker with it while our students learn
* have all machines in our institution carry the same software, and any
new machines can immediately have it
* have regular affordable needs-driven updates
* distribute the software to employees, staff and students on home
computers
* have small entrepreneurs afford to start a business in Africa using
that software, rendering our training ineffective

Have a look at singular, btw. Also have a look at matplotlib with
python. The latter, sage, and mascyma are none quite ready for prime
time yet, but atomic requests might assist the developers working on
those projects.

To the general rant, "write it yourself, or fund it" seems to be
the only answer.

my 2 African cents,
Jan
--