Re: xml as a scientific data format

Michael Gilbert wrote:
Hello all,

Does anyone have any good references that make clear and good
arguments for representing long sets of scientific (floating point)
data in xml files (e.g. strings of base64 encoded data).  I need to
make an argument to management for the format over hdf.  My gut tells
me that the transparency and extensibility of xml are the key elements
to argue.  Are there any other ideas out there or sites that "sell"
xml's strong points in clear language that managment would understand?
 Thanks for any thoughts.

IMO, it's best to use xml only for export/import between applications.
Internal to an application, a faster and simpler custom format should be used.