Re: publication quality graphs

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Stuart Prescott wrote:
> A question that has come up a few times on this list is how people
> go about producing publication quality graphs. I'm revisiting this
> question as I'm yet to find a method that actually works for me.

I personally use R here for almost all of the publication quality
graphs that I need to make here.

My basic workflow looks like the following:

1) data entry into gnumeric
2) export to tab delineated files
3) tweak .R file so that it does what I want it to do for this
   particular dataset [I've got a set of these that I use for
   different experiments/graph types that I use often.]

4) R --no-save < foo.R; to run the R file
5) ps2pdf if I need to send it to people who don't have gv

[I actually have makefiles to do 4&5]

Of course, R is probably a bit more difficult to get started in, but
the power of the language makes it quite useful to me, despite its
steep learning curve.

http://rzlab.ucr.edu/debian/debian-science/

should give you sort of an idea of what I'm doing. [Ignore the
gigantic +/-, that was a less than stellar experiment.]

Don Armstrong

--
I never until now realized that the primary job of any emoticon is to
say "excuse me, that didn't make any sense." ;-P