Re: ITK Debian packaging

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Gavin Baker wrote:

I did the original ITP for packaging ITK quite some time ago, and have
produced several packages since, with a new one on the way.

Well, the ITP is yours and our policy says the package is yours.  It was my
fault that I did not advised Guanglei to verify this first - sorry for that.

The problem I had was, that in

   http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2005/06/msg00010.html

I asked you for progress on the ITK packaging because I did not heard
from you since a year.  When Guanglei sended his posting I thought for
a moment you were working together and sended you a mail.

The packages were originally available from mentors.debian.net but they had
a server crash and ended up not hosting binaries because of the bandwidth.
Since then I've mostly hosted them on my own site.

I guess you are talking about

    http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~gavinb/projects/itk.php

I checked this site before I was contacting you a couple of days ago and
had no sign that any 2.x version of ITK was on the horizont.  This and the
lack of an answer to the mail above enforced me to give you a notice that
there is some other packaging effort.

The packages I've built
have been announced on the main ITK mailing list, linked from the ITK docs
and website.

I'm sorry I can not find such a link.

Version 2.2 of ITK has just been released, and I'm about to publish a new
version of the debs that I've been working on.  The idea is for these to go
into Debian-Med.

This would be great.  Obviousely there is some interest in moving this package
into Debian.

Guanglei, it's a shame you didn't check for ITPs, do a search or contact me
before going ahead with this.  I've had a look at your debs, and it appears
it doesn't do much beyond package up a default build/install.  There's a
number of issues that I've already solved in packaging ITK to conform to the
Debian standards (altering paths, configuring shared libraries, library
versioning, configuring bundled libraries, excluding patented code, etc,
etc).

Gavin thanks for your work.  I hope Guanglei will be able to learn from your
code for his future efforts.

Also there's CableSwig etc and the Applications bundle.

You mentioned this in the first announcement to Debian-Med list.

There's no point duplicating the effort, especially when there's already
packages out there that people have been using.

This would in fact be a waste of time.  Please be patient with Guanglei because
he seems to be quite new to Debian packaging.

Perhaps you can find
another project that needs packaging?  I'm sure Andreas Tille from
Debian-Med could suggest some packages that need attention if you wish to
contribute in this area?

Ahhh, uhhh, ohhh, yes. ;-))
There is no problem in finding tasks for beginners or advanced packagers.  You
can easily find tasks for Debian-Med at

  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=wnpp&include=subject:%5bmed

or more specifically for imaging

  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=wnpp&include=subject:%5bmed-imaging

where we seem to have a similar case.  Contacting the involved people about the
status of these bugs would be the first step ...

But if I did understand Guanglei right his interest would be specific to ITK and
perhaps we find a way that he might support your work?  I have the following
suggestions:

  1) Please find a way to publish your latest packaging sources or give an
     explicite link to it.

  2) Consider group maintainance in general.  At DebConf 5 in Helsinki there
     was a consensus that group maintainance is a good idea for complex packages
     anyway.  ITK seems to fit the category "complex" and it is nice to know
     that someone else shares the effort.  To support this I could start a
     project on Alioth where you can maintain the packaging sources.

  3) Lets try to find a way to quickly move ITK into Debian to avoid further
     confusion and spread the thing amongst Debian users.  Thus they can use
     the Debian bug tracking system which normally increases the packaging
     quality.

Gavin and Guanglei, thanks for your effort.  Lets try to bring it to an effective
end.

PS: I would prefer if we would move this thread to Debian-Med mailing list
    because there are potentially other interested parties.