Re: Additional tools for scientific plots and figures

On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 09:26:30PM +0200, Alexander Sieck wrote:
> Hello,
>
> additional tools for customized scientific plots
> or figures for publications are Asymptote
>   http://asymptote.sourceforge.net/
> and PyX
>   http://pyx.sourceforge.net/
> Both resemble more a programming language for creating complex
> figures than just simple plot tools. For Asymptote an unofficial
> Debian package does exist. For PyX an official Debian package is
> available

Interesting links.

I have been using GLE for producing plots since my diploma thesis and
before. Unfortunately the license it not very clear, so it can not go into
Debian. There is a project on sf.net which holds source that is actually
buildable:

http://glx.sourceforge.net/

I guess GLE was already taken, also we have already a debian package called
gle. The page says it is opensource, but I don't think they have something
official from the original author. I think GLE produces good postscript
graphics and is fairly easy to use, if you have used it for a decade... one
of these days I will try to learn how to use some newer tools, but there is
too much choice already!

Christian