Re: RFS: slib/3b6-2 -- Portable Scheme library

On 01/31/21 18:21 pm, Göran Weinholt wrote:

> I'm trying it out with Guile and thought that the following should work,
> but it doesn't:
>
> | GNU Guile 3.0.4
> | Copyright (C) 1995-2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> |
> | Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
> | This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> | under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.
> |
> | Enter `,help' for help.
> | scheme@(guile-user)> (import (ice-9 slib))
> | scheme@(guile-user)> (require 'soundex)
> | ice-9/boot-9.scm:1669:16: In procedure raise-exception:
> | In procedure open-file: No such file or directory: "/usr/share/guile/site/3.0/slibcat"

That's expected because the Debian Guile package handles generating its
slibcat in guile-libs.postinst. I didn't want to interfere with that by
changing Guile's (implementation-vicinity) and shipping a prebuilt
slibcat as I do for the other Schemes. That said, slib catalog
generation is currently disabled in the guile-3.0 postinst, presumably
because the slib in Debian didn't support it at the time.

We could fix this either by updating guile-libs.postinst, or by removing
the slib logic from the guile package completely and shipping a prebuilt
slibcat in the slib package. I guess that's up to Rob?

--
Thanks,
Nick