Re: slib and Schemes

On 10/08/20 23:56 pm, Göran Weinholt wrote:

> It's an interesting approach that turns my assumptions on their head. Do
> you think it will work better than generating them in the postinsts of
> the cooperating Schemes? It'll be easier for you to make sure that it
> works in all supported Schemes, but you get more work to do yourself in
> slib. Seems like a good idea if it works.

I'm not sure which way is best. It seems the same code either needs to
all go centrally in the slib postinst or distributed in each Scheme's
postinst. To me it seems more straightforward to put it all in the slib
package, as the logic is largely the same for each Scheme and it makes
tasks like moving all the catalog files to a central location easier.

>> I think it would be preferable for the catalog to be placed in some
>> directory managed by slib, for example /usr/share/slib/<scheme>/, which
>> can then be cleaned up in the prerm script. I've done this for
>> chezscheme in the patch above (as it wasn't working in Debian
>> previously, so nothing will be broken) by overriding
>> (implementation-vicinity) in the .init file.
>
> Is implementation-vicinity used for anything else? If not then it seems
> fine, at least for Chez.

No, not in slib itself anyway. The README also suggests overriding it
(with an environment variable) if the default directory is not writable,
so I don't think there will be an problem changing it in Debian.

--
Thanks,
Nick