Re: STklos packaging -- status and a question

Jeronimo Pellegrini <j_p@aleph0.info> writes:

> Hello,
>
> These are some issues brought up by Göran:
>
> * some files aren't removed by make clean.
>
>   addressed by upstream PR #114:
>   https://github.com/egallesio/STklos/pull/114

Good.

> * stklos-config embeds CFLAGS from the package build, which contains the
>   build directory
>
>   I'm not sure what to do. stklos-config is supposed to do exactly
>   that -- return the CFLAGS used when compiling. Maybe we should not
>   include it?

Hmm. It's embedded in stklos-config, which is a "pkg-config"-alike
script that I surmise is for building applications that use stklos. And
the problem is that it embeds this:

 --cflags)
     echo -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/home/weinholt/debian/scheme/stklos=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security

I actually wouldn't think that applications want to use the C compiler
flags that were used to build stklos itself. Try this: "grep Cflags
/usr/share/pkgconfig/*". The most common use of Cflags on my system is
to add an include directory (-I). The second most common is to add C
preprocessor defines (-D). I think it makes sense to either empty out
the response to --cflags, or possibly return just
-I${prefix}/include/stklos.

> * srfi-175-impl.so shouldn't be in /usr/share
>
>   addressed by upstream PR #117:
>   https://github.com/egallesio/STklos/pull/117
>   (also mentioned in upstream issue #115,
>    https://github.com/egallesio/STklos/issues/115 )

Looks good.

> * licensing:
>
>   should be fine, but there is a mix of GPLv3, GPLv2 and
>   SRFI (BSD-like) licensing. STklos itself is GPLv2, but SRFIs and
>   some modules have different licenses.
>   I'll be working on that.

If parts are "version 2 or later" and other parts are "version 3 or
later" it should be fine, we will then be distributing it under version
3. If some parts are only "version 2" then we might have a problem.
Thanks for working on this!

> And the question:
>
> How should we keep track of packaging issues? I see that the Gitlab
> installation on salsa does not have the issue tracker enabled.
> Just use the mailing list for that?

We can coordinate on the list and handle the nitty-gritty in Salsa merge
requests. Later when it's uploaded to Debian we can use the BTS, but
I've also set the list as Maintainer:, so the list will receive
notifications about bugs and uploads.

--
Göran Weinholt   | https://weinholt.se/
Debian Developer | 73 de SA6CJK