Re: src:exempi: fails to migrate to testing for too long: FTBFS on s390x

Hi Michael

On 29-08-2022 14:23, Michael Biebl wrote:
As you are probably aware, this issue is known and tracked in [1].

Which I added as a blocker and mentioned in my message, so yes.

The package FTBFS after enabling the test suite. I raised this issue upstream but there is no real interest/motivation [2] on their part to address these (most likely endianess related) issues.
So I informed the s390x porters as well but got not feedback so far.

Ack, I saw the latter part.

To me it seems it's better to not continue ship a known broken package on s390x and think a partial architecture removal is probably the better alternative.

If you think the package indeed is severely broken, then removal sounds best. If its broken in some less common use cases, it may be OK to leave it for now (skipping those tests on 390x) and let the porters have a look when they have time.

Let me know what you think

It all depends on how broken it is. If you would consider the bugs found by the tests RC, then removal is the better choice unless a porter steps up to fix it. If the bugs would be important at most, than skipping broken tests on s390x sounds like the better option. Removal bugs are hard to time predict.

Paul

PS: I would not disable building on s390x if you have the test suite finding out severe problems (as the d/control file doesn't have negated architecture fields yet). Just getting the binary removed and FTBFS will prevent the architecture from building again.