Re: help fixing gitlab-workhorse build failure on s390x

Hi,

On 2016-11-04 16:18, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> [cc me on replies from s390 list]
>
> gitlab-workhorse is blocking gitlab 8.12.3 migration to testing for
> sometime now. I fixed two issues with powerpc build but this issue seems
> hard to crack.
>
> See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=843148 for details
>
> Any help fixing this issue would be great.

The problem is that the latest version of go introduce a requirement of
a z196 CPU, which is higher than the ISA we use in Debian and for which
we only have one build daemon (zandonai). While technically we can force
packages to not be built on some build daemons (the list might be quite
long for go related packages), we can't really do that practically as it
means we won't be able to offer security packages in time if the build
daemon is down during a few days. In practice the maximum downtime over
the last years has been around one minute, but we can't predict what it
will be in the future.

I have started to modify the go code to lower the required ISA (removing
the use of the DO opcodes), but it's something that takes time. I hope
to finish it in the next weeks or months though, so before the freeze.

In the meantime maybe we can manually force it to be built on zandonai
manually. I also guess we should have a single bug open on the go
package with an "affects" on the other packages.

Aurelien