Re: Adding DASD to a Debian guest

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 08:28:42 -0400 (EDT), Philipp Kern wrote:
> However it then turned out that I needed to hack the zipl config to
> make the kernel see the DASD from within the initrd.
>
> [    0.066844] Kernel command line: root=/dev/sysvg/root dasd_mod.dasd=0.0.0100 BOOT_IMAGE=0

That's because sysconfig-hardware isn't in the initial RAM file system,
and therefore doesn't bring DASD volumes online until the permanent root
file system has been mounted.  If the permanent root file system is a
partition on a physical volume, there is exception code in

   /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-premount/sysconfig_hardware

to bring that specific volume online early, but only if the root device
is specified in zipl via the form

   root=/dev/disk/by-path/ccw-0.0.xxxx-partz

where xxxx is the device number and z is the partition number.  It must
be in this form so that

   /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-premount/sysconfig_hardware

knows the device number and can bring it online via

   echo 1 >/sys/bus/ccw/devices/0.0.xxxx/online

This is one reason, but not the only reason, why I advised the OP not
to make the root file system a logical volume.

On my systems, I add sysconfig-hardware to the initial RAM file system,
using the method described in

but of course this cannot be done until *after* installation.
The main reason that I do it is so that I can specifiy the root
file system in zipl as

   root=UUID=...

which will only work if all the DASD volumes have been brought online
already, and therefore udev has found the volumes and their partitions
and has created symbolic links for them in /dev/disk.  This makes
the boot process much closer to how it works on all other hardware
platforms that Debian supports.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :