Re: Debian-390 / Hercules Problems

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 14:09:43 -0500 (EST), David Clements wrote:

> My jessie installed finished and znetconf is missing. This is very weird
> because lsqeth, lsdasd, lscss, etc. are all part of the zconf sub-package
> and they are installed.
> I have wasted enough time on this, and as I now understand what is going on
> with the s390-tools package, not why, I will continue to pull the package
> from DeveloperWorks, and get on with my qeth testing.

I downloaded the Debian source package for s390-tools 1.17.1.
The source code (it's a shell script) for znetconf is present in the source
package, but for some reason it does not get built into the binary version
of the package.  I was able to get it to run from the source package
(using "./znetconf -c") when my current directory was debian/build/build/zconf
(starting from the top directory of the source package).  But in order to
get it to run, I had to make some changes.  Both znetconf and lsznet.raw have
hard-coded references to a directory called /lib/s390-tools, which does not
exist on a stock Debian system.  This may be causing a build failure.
But if so, it is a silent build failure.  dpkg-buildpackage produces no errors.
I got it to run by changing the directory to ".", for testing purposes.
This is no good for the general case, of course, but I did it just to see if
I could get it to run, and I was able to get it to run that way.
"./znetconf -c" finds and lists my CTCA.

I think this is a question for the package maintainer.  Philipp, are you
listening?

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :