Re: debian-ports.org getting relatively unstable (hppa)

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 11:54:43AM +0100, Helge Deller wrote:
> On 12/15/2013 06:32 AM, Dave Land wrote:
> > Not sure what's up at debian-ports.org, but I've been trying to
> > debootstrap 2 different HPPA machines for the last couple days and
> > have been getting a variety of errors (size mismatches, files not
> > found when they were there 20 minutes before, etc. etc.) Somebody may
> > want to look into this before it gets out of hand. Thanks! :)
>
> I maybe should add some more background here, and maybe someone
> here on the list might have an idea on how to proceed.
>
> Background is, that Dave and myself have binmnu-uploaded the necessary
> packages for hppa so that debootstrap worked. Then we proceeded with the necessary
> packages for sbuild and schroot, so that I now have a buildd installed
> which should be able to start building packages. I haven't turned it
> on yet though for the reasons which I explain in a few seconds...
>
> In the meantime we have of course uploaded a few more packages which
> now currently break debootstrap. This is fixable manually, but I instead
> of uploading packages manually now, I would prefer to get the buildd
> going instead... So, Dave Land, please wait a little bit...
>
> Now to the reasons why I didn't turned on the buildd yet:
> We noticed, that when we manually binmnu-upload packages, which are
> already in the *same version* on debian-ports, then debian-ports ACCEPT
> those packages, but if we then try to apt-get-update those later on, this leads
> to a "size mismatch" error. I do have the feeling, that this is a
> problem on debian-ports. I noticed for example that reprepro usually
> doesn't accept packages of the same version which doesn't seem to be
> the case on debian-ports.

This is indeed the case, apt-fptarchive keep the checksums corresponding
to first package. That said it hasn't really caused any problem so far.

> So, I'm anxious, that if I start the buildd, it will happily build and upload packages
> which we already uploaded to debian-ports. If this happens we will get more
> size-mismatch errors.

Well if you leave the build daemons handling the uploads, they will not
build and upload the same package again, and the problem won't happen.

> A trivial example:
> On machine buildd.debian-ports.org I run:
> deller@leda:~$ wb info hello . hppa
> * hello/hppa
>   | hello:
>   |   Package             : hello
>   |   Version             : 2.8-4
>   |   State               : Needs-Build
>   |   Section             : devel
>   |   Priority            : source
>   |   Previous-State      :
>   |   State-Change        : 2013-02-18 00:03:36.782007
>   |   CalculatedPri       : 52
>   |   component           : main
>   |   Distribution        : sid
>   |   Notes               : out-of-date
>   |   State-Days          : 300
>   |   State-Time          : 25958430
>
> So, the package "hello" would need a rebuild according to the wanna-build database,
> and that would wb probably tell my buildd who then would start building/uploading it.
> But on http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian/pool-hppa/main/h/hello/ you can
> see, that the hello-package is already uploaded at version 2.8-4
> So, if my buildd now uploads the newly created hello package, I'm sure
> we will run again into the size-mismatch problem.

The wanna-build database is not up to date on hppa. I have disabled it
to save some very precious cpu cycles given there are no buildds on hppa
yet.

> Now, Aurelien mentioned last week to me, that this size-mismatch error
> might be because of the "apt-ftparchive cache might have been corrupted for hppa".
> I'm not 100% sure about that.

Ok I wasn't aware the same package have been uploaded multiple time, so
the corruption comes clearly from there.

> My question here on the list would be, if you (other arch-porters) do have an idea
> on how I should proceed.

I would say stop doing manual upload and start the build daemons.

> Best solution would probably be, if the wanna-build database rescans what's in
> the archive already. Is this possible?

Yes, I can re-enable the hppa wanna-build database if it is actually
useful.

> Or, should I just start the buildd and see what's happening? If we then get
> the size-mismatch errors there is lot of manual work to fix it (unless resetting the
> apt-ftparchive on debian-ports would solve this).

We can rebuild the apt-ftparchive database at some point.

Aurelien

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73