How do I get the box-drawing characters to look right for Debian Installer?

As you know, the installation procedure for Debian on the s390 and s390x
architectures involves using the Integrated System Console (or the virtual
3215 console in a virtual machine under z/VM) to get the network device
configured, then logging in as "installer" using a remote SSH client to
finish the rest of the installation.  I have learned from experience that
when my remote SSH client is PuTTY running under Windows, I can get the
box-drawing characters in the Debian installer to look right by selecting
"UTF-8" as the character set in the PuTTY configuration.  If I use Lat-1,
or some other character set, the box-drawing characters don't look right.

Recently, however, I tried a Debian install for s390x (wheezy) using the
Linux SSH client running under Linux on an Intel box instead of PuTTY
running under Windows.  (Debian package openssh-client, command ssh.)
I used a virtual terminal, vt2 in this case, rather than an xterm window
or something similar (i.e. gnome-terminal).  I can connect just fine,
but the box-drawing characters don't look right.  I can't find any way
to configure the Linux ssh client to make the box-drawing characters
display properly.

How do I get the Linux ssh client to work with the Debian installer to get
the box-drawing characters to look right?  Or must I use Windows to
install Debian?

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :