Re: changing the java default to java7, and dropping java support for some architectures

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org> wrote:
> It's time to change the Java default to java7, and to drop java support on
> architectures with non-working java7.

Just asking as a loongson-2f user, :-)

What makes java7 not to work on those architectures?  Building issues?

> So the architectures to drop java support would be
>
>   kfreebsd-any, hurd-i386, mips, mipsel, s390, ia64

So, if openjdk is to be dropped on these archs, what alternative will
be there for them?  Are there any instructions so users can experiment
and attempt building themselves?

> - openjdk support for mips and mipsel is currently broken, with several
>   requests for help on debian-mips left unanswered.

:-)  I'm one who asked there some time back why java7 is no longer in
the archives (unstable/experimental), while the last binaries I had
installed still work OK on my mini-pc...

I'm just curious, sorry for asking to the lists...  I want to
understand if the mini-pc is still a low performance desktop
alternative with java enabled, or is no longer suited for that, :-)
So your answers are very appreciated.

--
Javier.