Re: Installing a custom kernel on Debian S/390(wheezy/sid)

On 5 Aug 2012, at 21:56, Stephen Powell wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 10:01:31 -0400 (EDT), Sampsa Laine wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone have any practical examples of this? I don't want
>> to bugger up my system (am of course backuping the DASD's
>> before any install step :)
>
> I know it's long, but I recommend that you read the entire web
> page before starting.  There's a lot of material there, and many
> "gotchas" are documented.  If you read the web page first, you
> will avoid most of the common "gotchas".  If you are talking
> specifically about the hook scripts, what I use is the lynx
> browser (text mode only) to do the download.  Bring up the web
> page in lynx under Debian for s390.  Position to the first
> download link, then press "d" to download.  Exit the browser,
> become root, move (mv) the file to /etc/kernel/postinst.d, change
> the group to root (chgrp), the owner to root (chown), and the
> attributes to 755 (chmod).  Revert back to your non-root userid
> again, run lynx, position to the second download link, type "d"
> to download, exit lynx again, become root, move the second file to
> /etc/kernel/postrm.d, and change the group, owner, and attributes
> as before.  Then edit /etc/kernel-img.conf and change do_symlinks
> to no.

I copied the two scripts into the /etc/kernel dirs.

> There are examples in the web page itself, but they are for the
> i386 architecture.  Slight changes will need to be made in the
> kernel naming convention for s390 kernels, but other than that
> the examples in the web page itself should suffice.
>
> After reading the entire web page, if you still have specific
> questions, ask away.

Am in the progress of re-reading it for the third time now, I think I've got most of it.

I also looked in the /etc/kernel/post* dirs, I take it the dpkg command will invoke zipl to add the relevant entries to the boot loader?

Sampsa