Re: wheezy installer images fail on hercules

Andreas Metzler <ametzler <at> downhill.at.eu.org> writes:

> On 2012-05-22 Philipp Kern <pkern <at> debian.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 12:37:44AM +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
> >> Indeed, thanks for the report.  It seems that the kernel driver
> >> switched from cu3088 to ctcm (the driver name is hardcoded in
> >> s390-netdevice).  Furthermore I only see
> >> «/sys/bus/ccw/devices/0.0.0a00», i.e. just one device instead of
> >> its write partner 0.0.0a01.  The same issue has been fixed in
> >> sysconfig-hardware with #566632, but there both devices turned up.
>
> > This works for me (with the adjusted initrd):
>
> > 0A00.2  CTCI 10.1.1.1 10.1.1.2
>
> > Does that also work for you, Andreas, with the squeeze kernel?
>
> -v please.  I am s390 agnostic, I would need something like "at the
> hercules console type in the exact string when X happens"
>
> BTW I have been unable to complete installations with stable images
> either. - The virtual machine just hangs at some point during the
> unpack phase. Symptoms like a hardware/heating or memory problem. I
> have never experienced anything like this in other circumstances but
> hercules generates a rather peculiar workload (100% CPU for a long
> time). Or is this related to AMD64 kernel with i386 userland?
>
> cu andreas

Hello, I have exactly the same problem. I just downloaded the last wheezy
updated installation cd.iso ( may 12 ). I IPL d390.ins, all works fine since I
have to choose the network device; this is my Hercules config line:

0A00.2 CTCI 192.168.50.1 192.168.50.2

Thanks for your help
Regards
Alessandro