Re: Installing a custom kernel on Debian S/390(wheezy/sid)

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 07:04:02 -0400 (EDT), Sampsa Laine wrote:

> Guy, I've just finished installing the S/390 version of wheezy/sid
> into a Hercules emulator (the one from the Xubuntu repositories,
> seems to work fine).

First of all, are you running Debian or Ubuntu?  This is a Debian list.
Advice you get here is going to be Debian-specific and may not work
for Ubuntu.  Debian has its own s390 port.

> Everything is working including networking, but to my dismay I noticed
> there's no DECNET support compiled into the kernel (yes, I am that nuts,
> I want DECNET on an S/390).
>
> Anyway, so I downloaded kernel sources for linux-2.6.32.59 (2.6.32.59
> seemed the closest to 2.6.32-45, which was shipped with the distro)
> from kernel.org and did a make menuconfig. All went swimmingly.
>
> I am now running the proper "make" to build the kernel, and it seems
> to be working fine, too.
>
> Now to my question: How do I _install_ this kernel, ideally as a new
> boot option when I IPL the box.
>
> I assume I have to:
>
> 	1. Generate a new initramdisk
> 	2. Put the kernel somewhere
> 	3. Put the new modules somewhere
> 	4. Modify the bootloader
>
> Now it's been a LONG time since I've done this (think slackware with
> lilo and kernel 1.x) so I have no idea how to proceed, especially
> on an S/390.
>
> Anyone got any pointers?
>
> As for my current setup, here's some data:
>
> #cat /etc/debian_version:
> 	wheezy/sid
>
> #cat uname -a:
> 	Linux version 2.6.32-5-s390x (Debian 2.6.32-45) (dannf@debian.org)
> (gcc version 4.3.5 (Debian 4.3.5-4) ) #1 SMP Sun May 6 03:12:45 UTC 2012
>
> # cat /proc/version
> 	Linux version 3.2.0-23-generic (buildd@crested)
> (gcc version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu4) )
> #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:39:51 UTC 2012
>
> PS: In the future, could you guys maybe include DECNET support
> in the mainstream kernel releases? Or is this a problem?

Second, let me qualify my remarks by saying that I am not a member of
the Debian s390/s390x port team and I do not speak for them: I am just
an ordinary Debian user (including a Debian for s390 user).

For building and installing custom kernels under Debian GNU/Linux,
I recommend the web page

   http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

This is not an official Debian web page, but this is what I use.
Take it with however many grains of salt you think it's worth.

Finally, a request to include DECNET support in the kernel by default
should probably be posted to the debian-kernel list.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :