Re: What installer images should we provide for s390 and s390x?

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:42:32PM +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
>On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 02:20:08PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> We had a brief discussion back in April about s390/s390x CD images,
>> but I'm still not clear on what people would like me to do here.
>>
>> At the moment, on all other arches we currently create:
>>
>>  * small CDs (businesscard and netinst)
>>  * full CD and DVD sets
>>
>> For s390 we've never done the small CDs and just had the full
>> sets. For s390x we currently do nothing at all.
>>
>> Should we just follow the normal conventions and do both types for
>> these arches too? Or is that just totally wasting space and time?
>
>I did not find any documentation about how to access the CD when it's put into
>the Hardware Management Console.  It's possible to boot a netinst installer
>from it, because the HMC is able to load the relevant files (initrd, kernel,
>options, etc.) into RAM by itself.  The only use for the disc would be to
>copy the tree to a local mirror or something.  I think in general people would
>be better off just doing a network install.  But a netinst image would be
>really helpful as it's a bit fiddly to boot Debian installer in a partition
>otherwise.
>
>Probably not the answer you wanted, though...

Yes...

Anybody else got an opinion? If I don't hear otherwise, I'm tempted to
do all the sets - I vaguely recall a conversation ages back with
somebody show claimed to use Debian on s390, but they'd never want to
connect it to the internet directly so they wanted CDs/DVDs for
packages even if they had to copy the contents elsewhere on their LAN.

"I've only once written 'SQL is my bitch' in a comment. But that code
 is in use on a military site..." -- Simon Booth