Java on Debian s/390

Has anyone got the IBM JRE working on Debian for s/390?  I'm using
Debian/testing on my z890.  I tried the current version (v6) of both the
32-bit and 64-bit JRE installers, and neither one worked.  The 32-bit
one complained of a missing libstdc++5 (ok, that's a bit old), and the
64-bit version gives me a Java error in the installer:

Preparing to install...
Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
Unpacking the JRE...
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...

Launching installer...

An internal LaunchAnywhere application error has occured and this
application cannot proceed. (LAX)

Stack Trace:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid Unicode sequence: illegal
character
        at java.util.Properties.loadImpl(Properties.java:360)
        at java.util.Properties.load(Properties.java:292)
        at
com.zerog.common.java.util.PropertiesUtil.loadProperties(DashoA10*..)
        at com.zerog.lax.LAX.<init>(DashoA10*..)
        at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(DashoA10*..)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pat