Re: Debian 6 - qdio Device

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:49:54 +0100, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:35:46AM +0100, Riedel, Alexander wrote:
>> I the meantime i have found the cause for the problem.
>>
>> In /etc/udev/rules.d are old rules from Debian 5.
>> I have deleted now this rules and everything is working fine.
>
> Well, when I looked at it some days ago it left me wondering why they're in
> /etc in the first place.  After all they override files in /lib/udev/rules.d
> with the same content.  Shouldn't people rather copy them to /etc to modify
> them and then live with the consequences instead of having trouble on upgrades?

Since my initial response to this message I have done some more
research on udev, and I now agree with you 100%.  In my initial
response I said something about how the copies in /etc/udev/rules.d
were intended to be "user editable".  There is an element of truth
to that.  I'm thinking, for example, of /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules,
on the i386 architecture, which is generated by /lib/udev/write_net_rules.
This file assigns network interface names (eth0, eth1, etc.) based
on the MAC address and is user-editable so that the user can decide
which MAC address to assign to which interface.

However, in the case of 65-sysconfig-hardware-net.rules and
85-sysconfig-hardware.rules, these are not generated files and
contain nothing that would ordinarily be considered user-customizable.
I can see no reason for them to be in both /lib/udev/rules.d and
/etc/udev/rules.d.  There seems to be conflicting evidence here.
According to the web page

   http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/s390/sysconfig-hardware/filelist

the two rules files exist only in /lib/udev/rules.d.  But according
to /var/lib/dpkg/info/sysconfig-hardware.list on my actual installed
system, they exist in both places.  I have erased the copies in
/etc/udev/rules.d on my system.  Perhaps this will save me some trouble
on the next upgrade.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :