Re: Debian 6 - qdio Device

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 04:49:54 -0500 (EST), Philipp Kern wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:35:46AM +0100, Riedel, Alexander wrote:
>> I the meantime i have found the cause for the problem.
>>
>> In /etc/udev/rules.d are old rules from Debian 5.
>> I have deleted now this rules and everything is working fine.
>
> Well, when I looked at it some days ago it left me wondering why they're in
> /etc in the first place.  After all they override files in /lib/udev/rules.d
> with the same content.  Shouldn't people rather copy them to /etc to modify
> them and then live with the consequences instead of having trouble on upgrades?

I'm no udev expert; but in the general case, I believe that the files in
/lib/udev/rules.d are intended to be templates used to generate the
files in /etc/udev/rules.d.  The files in /etc/udev/rules.d tend to
be tailored to the user's environment in some way.  For example, the
MAC addresses of the network adapters being used are typically present
in the versions in /etc/udev/rules.d.  s390 is a special case in that, when the
OSA is in layer 3 mode, as mine is, there are no MAC addresses in the
files.  In many cases, erasing one of the files in /etc/udev/rules.d
will cause a new one to be generated at the next boot up, but it may
or may not be what the user wants.  This is particularly the case when
the system has more than one network adapter.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :