Re: [RFC] Updating boot loaders in lenny and squeeze

On Sat, 2010-06-26 at 22:43 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 20:45:58 -0400 (EDT), Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-06-26 at 20:35 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> >>
> >> Sounds reasonable to me.  This is for Squeeze+1, right?
> >
> > No, we need something like this for squeeze.
>
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 17:51:11 +0200, Maximilian Attems wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:55:35 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:
> >>
> >> As for "update-initramfs -u", it *will* invoke lilo if lilo is installed
> >> and "do_bootloader = yes" is specified in /etc/kernel-img.conf, which I
> >> highly recommend.
> >
> > this fall back will be gone as soon as squeeze is out.
> > so you'd really need to gear up.
>
> (The above quotes are from the bug log for Debian bug number 505609.)
> This led me to believe that, for lilo and zipl anyway, specifying
>
>    do_bootloader = yes
>
> in /etc/kernel-img.conf would be sufficient to get the boot loader
> run when "update-initramfs -u" is executed at least through and
> including the Squeeze release.  But in Squeeze+1 this "fallback", as
> Max put it, will no longer work and therefore a new architecture
> will be needed.  Did I misunderstand something?

Maybe we can scrape along without changing this, but since we already
need to change the boot loader packages for squeeze we may as well sort
this out.  This also gives Jonas a chance to make yaird just work
without having to introduce the same sort of kluge.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings