Differences between zelenka and zandonai

Hi,

Firefox uses a technique they call "frame poisoning" to mitigate
dangling pointer bugs. It reserves a poison area at a fixed location
in the address space (and tries other places if that can't be done)
and makes dangling pointers point there so that the application ends
up crashing instead of being exploitable.

There is validation test in their test suite that verifies if that
technique works properly. While upstream version doesn't support s390,
adding support for it is pretty straightforward. The only problem I have
now is that while this works properly on zelenka, it doesn't work on
zandonai during the test suite run part of the build.

Is there a difference in the kernel or hardware that would explain this
behaviour?

I'm attaching the test program in question. It can be simply built with
g++ -o TestPoisonArea TestPoisonArea.cpp

Thanks,

Mike
/* -*- Mode: C++; tab-width: 2; indent-tabs-mode: nil; c-basic-offset: 2 -*- */
/* vim:set ts=2 sw=2 sts=2 et cindent: */
/* ***** BEGIN LICENSE BLOCK *****
 * Version: MPL 1.1/GPL 2.0/LGPL 2.1
 *
 * The contents of this file are subject to the Mozilla Public License Version
 * 1.1 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
 * the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
 * http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/
 *
 * Software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" basis,
 * WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
 * for the specific language governing rights and limitations under the
 * License.
 *
 * The Original Code is frame poisoning tests.
 *
 * The Initial Developer of the Original Code is the Mozilla Foundation.
 * Portions created by the Initial Developer are Copyright (C) 2009
 * the Initial Developer. All Rights Reserved.
 *
 * Contributor(s):
 *  Zachary Weinberg <zweinberg@mozilla.com>
 *
 * Alternatively, the contents of this file may be used under the terms of
 * either the GNU General Public License Version 2 or later (the "GPL"), or
 * the GNU Lesser General Public License Version 2.1 or later (the "LGPL"),
 * in which case the provisions of the GPL or the LGPL are applicable instead
 * of those above. If you wish to allow use of your version of this file only
 * under the terms of either the GPL or the LGPL, and not to allow others to
 * use your version of this file under the terms of the MPL, indicate your
 * decision by deleting the provisions above and replace them with the notice
 * and other provisions required by the GPL or the LGPL. If you do not delete
 * the provisions above, a recipient may use your version of this file under
 * the terms of any one of the MPL, the GPL or the LGPL.
 *
 * ***** END LICENSE BLOCK *****
 */

/* Code in this file needs to be kept in sync with code in nsPresArena.cpp.
 *
 * We want to use a fixed address for frame poisoning so that it is readily
 * identifiable in crash dumps.  Whether such an address is available
 * without any special setup depends on the system configuration.
 *
 * All current 64-bit CPUs (with the possible exception of PowerPC64)
 * reserve the vast majority of the virtual address space for future
 * hardware extensions; valid addresses must be below some break point
 * between 2**48 and 2**54, depending on exactly which chip you have.  Some
 * chips (notably amd64) also allow the use of the *highest* 2**48 -- 2**54
 * addresses.  Thus, if user space pointers are 64 bits wide, we can just
 * use an address outside this range, and no more is required.  To
 * accommodate the chips that allow very high addresses to be valid, the
 * value chosen is close to 2**63 (that is, in the middle of the space).
 *
 * In most cases, a purely 32-bit operating system must reserve some
 * fraction of the address space for its own use.  Contemporary 32-bit OSes
 * tend to take the high gigabyte or so (0xC000_0000 on up).  If we can
 * prove that high addresses are reserved to the kernel, we can use an
 * address in that region.  Unfortunately, not all 32-bit OSes do this;
 * OSX 10.4 might not, and it is unclear what mobile OSes are like
 * (some 32-bit CPUs make it very easy for the kernel to exist in its own
 * private address space).
 *
 * Furthermore, when a 32-bit user space process is running on a 64-bit
 * kernel, the operating system has no need to reserve any of the space that
 * the process can see, and generally does not do so.  This is the scenario
 * of greatest concern, since it covers all contemporary OSX iterations
 * (10.5+) as well as Windows Vista and 7 on newer amd64 hardware.  Linux on
 * amd64 is generally run as a pure 64-bit environment, but its 32-bit
 * compatibility mode also has this property.
 *
 * Thus, when user space pointers are 32 bits wide, we need to validate
 * our chosen address, and possibly *make* it a good poison address by
 * allocating a page around it and marking it inaccessible.  The algorithm
 * for this is:
 *
 *  1. Attempt to make the page surrounding the poison address a reserved,
 *     inaccessible memory region using OS primitives.  On Windows, this is
 *     done with VirtualAlloc(MEM_RESERVE); on Unix, mmap(PROT_NONE).
 *
 *  2. If mmap/VirtualAlloc failed, there are two possible reasons: either
 *     the region is reserved to the kernel and no further action is
 *     required, or there is already usable memory in this area and we have
 *     to pick a different address.  The tricky part is knowing which case
 *     we have, without attempting to access the region.  On Windows, we
 *     rely on GetSystemInfo()'s reported upper and lower bounds of the
 *     application memory area.  On Unix, there is nothing devoted to the
 *     purpose, but seeing if madvise() fails is close enough (it *might*
 *     disrupt someone else's use of the memory region, but not by as much
 *     as anything else available).
 *
 * Be aware of these gotchas:
 *
 * 1. We cannot use mmap() with MAP_FIXED.  MAP_FIXED is defined to
 *    _replace_ any existing mapping in the region, if necessary to satisfy
 *    the request.  Obviously, as we are blindly attempting to acquire a
 *    page at a constant address, we must not do this, lest we overwrite
 *    someone else's allocation.
 *
 * 2. For the same reason, we cannot blindly use mprotect() if mmap() fails.
 *
 * 3. madvise() may fail when applied to a 'magic' memory region provided as
 *    a kernel/user interface.  Fortunately, the only such case I know about
 *    is the "vsyscall" area (not to be confused with the "vdso" area) for
 *    *64*-bit processes on Linux - and we don't even run this code for
 *    64-bit processes.
 *
 * 4. VirtualQuery() does not produce any useful information if
 *    applied to kernel memory - in fact, it doesn't write its output
 *    at all.  Thus, it is not used here.
 */

// MAP_ANON(YMOUS) is not in any standard, and the C99 PRI* macros are
// not in C++98.  Add defines as necessary.
#define __STDC_FORMAT_MACROS
#define _GNU_SOURCE 1
#define _DARWIN_C_SOURCE 1

#include <stddef.h>

#ifndef _WIN32
#include <inttypes.h>
#else
#define PRIxPTR "Ix"
typedef unsigned int uint32_t;
// MSVC defines uintptr_t in <crtdefs.h> which is brought in implicitly
#endif

#include <errno.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>

#ifdef _WIN32
#include <windows.h>
#else
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <signal.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <sys/wait.h>

#include <sys/mman.h>
#ifndef MAP_ANON
#ifdef MAP_ANONYMOUS
#define MAP_ANON MAP_ANONYMOUS
#else
#error "Don't know how to get anonymous memory"
#endif
#endif
#endif

#define SIZxPTR ((int)(sizeof(uintptr_t)*2))

/* This program assumes that a whole number of return instructions fit into
 * 32 bits, and that 32-bit alignment is sufficient for a branch destination.
 * For architectures where this is not true, fiddling with RETURN_INSTR_TYPE
 * can be enough.
 */

#if defined __i386__ || defined __x86_64__ ||   \
  defined __i386 || defined __x86_64 ||         \
  defined _M_IX86 || defined _M_AMD64
#define RETURN_INSTR 0xC3C3C3C3  /* ret; ret; ret; ret */

#elif defined __arm__ || defined _M_ARM
#define RETURN_INSTR 0xE12FFF1E /* bx lr */

// PPC has its own style of CPU-id #defines.  There is no Windows for
// PPC as far as I know, so no _M_ variant.
#elif defined _ARCH_PPC || defined _ARCH_PWR || defined _ARCH_PWR2
#define RETURN_INSTR 0x4E800020 /* blr */

#elif defined __sparc || defined __sparcv9
#define RETURN_INSTR 0x81c3e008 /* retl */

#elif defined __alpha
#define RETURN_INSTR 0x6bfa8001 /* ret */

#elif defined __hppa
#define RETURN_INSTR 0xe840c002 /* bv,n r0(rp) */

#elif defined __mips
#define RETURN_INSTR 0x03e00008 /* jr ra */

#ifdef __MIPSEL
/* On mipsel, jr ra needs to be followed by a nop.
   0x03e00008 as a 64 bits integer just does that */
#define RETURN_INSTR_TYPE uint64_t
#endif

#elif defined __s390__
#define RETURN_INSTR 0x07fe0000 /* br %r14 */

#elif defined __ia64
struct ia64_instr { uint32_t i[4]; };
static const ia64_instr _return_instr =
  {{ 0x00000011, 0x00000001, 0x80000200, 0x00840008 }}; /* br.ret.sptk.many b0 */

#define RETURN_INSTR _return_instr
#define RETURN_INSTR_TYPE ia64_instr

#else
#error "Need return instruction for this architecture"
#endif

#ifndef RETURN_INSTR_TYPE
#define RETURN_INSTR_TYPE uint32_t
#endif

// Miscellaneous Windows/Unix portability gumph

#ifdef _WIN32
// Uses of this function deliberately leak the string.
static LPSTR
StrW32Error(DWORD errcode)
{
  LPSTR errmsg;

#ifndef WINCE
  FormatMessageA(FORMAT_MESSAGE_ALLOCATE_BUFFER |
                 FORMAT_MESSAGE_FROM_SYSTEM |
                 FORMAT_MESSAGE_IGNORE_INSERTS,
                 NULL, errcode, MAKELANGID(LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_DEFAULT),
                 (LPSTR) &errmsg, 0, NULL);

  // FormatMessage puts an unwanted newline at the end of the string
  size_t n = strlen(errmsg)-1;
  while (errmsg[n] == '\r' || errmsg[n] == '\n') n--;
  errmsg[n+1] = '\0';
#else
  // CE doesn't have FormatMessageA so we just stringify the error code.
  // Use LocalAlloc for consistency with the regular Windows code path.
  // "code \0" is 6 bytes, and a 32-bit number might need 10 more.
  errmsg = (LPSTR)LocalAlloc(LMEM_FIXED, 16);
  _snprintf(errmsg, 16, "code %u", errcode);
#endif

  return errmsg;
}
#define LastErrMsg() (StrW32Error(GetLastError()))

// Because we use VirtualAlloc in MEM_RESERVE mode, the "page size" we want
// is the allocation granularity.
static SYSTEM_INFO _sinfo;
#undef PAGESIZE
#define PAGESIZE (_sinfo.dwAllocationGranularity)

static void *
ReserveRegion(uintptr_t request, bool accessible)
{
  return VirtualAlloc((void *)request, PAGESIZE,
                      accessible ? MEM_RESERVE|MEM_COMMIT : MEM_RESERVE,
                      accessible ? PAGE_EXECUTE_READWRITE : PAGE_NOACCESS);
}

static void
ReleaseRegion(void *page)
{
  VirtualFree(page, PAGESIZE, MEM_RELEASE);
}

static bool
ProbeRegion(uintptr_t page)
{
  if (page >= (uintptr_t)_sinfo.lpMaximumApplicationAddress &&
      page + PAGESIZE >= (uintptr_t)_sinfo.lpMaximumApplicationAddress) {
    return true;
  } else {
    return false;
  }
}

static bool
MakeRegionExecutable(void *)
{
  return false;
}

#undef MAP_FAILED
#define MAP_FAILED 0

#else

#define LastErrMsg() (strerror(errno))

static unsigned long _pagesize;
#define PAGESIZE _pagesize

static void *
ReserveRegion(uintptr_t request, bool accessible)
{
  return mmap((caddr_t)request, PAGESIZE,
              accessible ? PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE : PROT_NONE,
              MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANON, -1, 0);
}

static void
ReleaseRegion(void *page)
{
  munmap((caddr_t)page, PAGESIZE);
}

static bool
ProbeRegion(uintptr_t page)
{
  if (madvise((caddr_t)page, PAGESIZE, MADV_NORMAL)) {
    return true;
  } else {
    return false;
  }
}

static int
MakeRegionExecutable(void *page)
{
  return mprotect((caddr_t)page, PAGESIZE, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE|PROT_EXEC);
}

#endif

static uintptr_t
ReservePoisonArea()
{
  if (sizeof(uintptr_t) == 8) {
    // Use the hardware-inaccessible region.
    // We have to avoid 64-bit constants and shifts by 32 bits, since this
    // code is compiled in 32-bit mode, although it is never executed there.
    uintptr_t result = (((uintptr_t(0x7FFFFFFFu) << 31) << 1 |
                         uintptr_t(0xF0DEAFFFu)) &
                        ~uintptr_t(PAGESIZE-1));
    printf("INFO | poison area assumed at 0x%.*"PRIxPTR"\n", SIZxPTR, result);
    return result;
  } else {
    // First see if we can allocate the preferred poison address from the OS.
    uintptr_t candidate = (0xF0DEAFFF & ~(PAGESIZE-1));
    void *result = ReserveRegion(candidate, false);
    if (result == (void *)candidate) {
      // success - inaccessible page allocated
      printf("INFO | poison area allocated at 0x%.*"PRIxPTR
             " (preferred addr)\n", SIZxPTR, (uintptr_t)result);
      return candidate;
    }

    // That didn't work, so see if the preferred address is within a range
    // of permanently inacessible memory.
    if (ProbeRegion(candidate)) {
      // success - selected page cannot be usable memory
      if (result != MAP_FAILED)
        ReleaseRegion(result);
      printf("INFO | poison area assumed at 0x%.*"PRIxPTR
             " (preferred addr)\n", SIZxPTR, candidate);
      return candidate;
    }

    // The preferred address is already in use.  Did the OS give us a
    // consolation prize?
    if (result != MAP_FAILED) {
      printf("INFO | poison area allocated at 0x%.*"PRIxPTR
             " (consolation prize)\n", SIZxPTR, (uintptr_t)result);
      return (uintptr_t)result;
    }

    // It didn't, so try to allocate again, without any constraint on
    // the address.
    result = ReserveRegion(0, false);
    if (result != MAP_FAILED) {
      printf("INFO | poison area allocated at 0x%.*"PRIxPTR
             " (fallback)\n", SIZxPTR, (uintptr_t)result);
      return (uintptr_t)result;
    }

    printf("ERROR | no usable poison area found\n");
    return 0;
  }
}

/* The "positive control" area confirms that we can allocate a page with the
 * proper characteristics.
 */
static uintptr_t
ReservePositiveControl()
{

  void *result = ReserveRegion(0, false);
  if (result == MAP_FAILED) {
    printf("ERROR | allocating positive control | %s\n", LastErrMsg());
    return 0;
  }
  printf("INFO | positive control allocated at 0x%.*"PRIxPTR"\n",
         SIZxPTR, (uintptr_t)result);
  return (uintptr_t)result;
}

/* The "negative control" area confirms that our probe logic does detect a
 * page that is readable, writable, or executable.
 */
static uintptr_t
ReserveNegativeControl()
{
  void *result = ReserveRegion(0, true);
  if (result == MAP_FAILED) {
    printf("ERROR | allocating negative control | %s\n", LastErrMsg());
    return 0;
  }

  // Fill the page with return instructions.
  RETURN_INSTR_TYPE *p = (RETURN_INSTR_TYPE *)result;
  RETURN_INSTR_TYPE *limit = (RETURN_INSTR_TYPE *)(((char *)result) + PAGESIZE);
  while (p < limit)
    *p++ = RETURN_INSTR;

  // Now mark it executable as well as readable and writable.
  // (mmap(PROT_EXEC) may fail when applied to anonymous memory.)

  if (MakeRegionExecutable(result)) {
    printf("ERROR | making negative control executable | %s\n", LastErrMsg());
    return 0;
  }

  printf("INFO | negative control allocated at 0x%.*"PRIxPTR"\n",
         SIZxPTR, (uintptr_t)result);
  return (uintptr_t)result;
}

static void
JumpTo(uintptr_t opaddr)
{
#ifdef __ia64
  struct func_call {
    uintptr_t func;
    uintptr_t gp;
  } call = { opaddr, };
  ((void (*)())&call)();
#else
  ((void (*)())opaddr)();
#endif
}

/* Test each page.  */
static bool
TestPage(const char *pagelabel, uintptr_t pageaddr, int should_succeed)
{
  const char *oplabel;
  uintptr_t opaddr;

  bool failed = false;
  for (unsigned int test = 0; test < 3; test++) {
    switch (test) {
      // The execute test must be done before the write test, because the
      // write test will clobber memory at the target address.
    case 0: oplabel = "reading"; opaddr = pageaddr + PAGESIZE/2 - 1; break;
    case 1: oplabel = "executing"; opaddr = pageaddr + PAGESIZE/2; break;
    case 2: oplabel = "writing"; opaddr = pageaddr + PAGESIZE/2 - 1; break;
    default: abort();
    }

#ifdef _WIN32
    __try {
      unsigned char scratch;
      switch (test) {
      case 0: scratch = *(volatile unsigned char *)opaddr; break;
      case 1: JumpTo(opaddr); break;
      case 2: *(volatile unsigned char *)opaddr = 0; break;
      default: abort();
      }

      // if control reaches this point the probe succeeded
      if (should_succeed) {
        printf("TEST-PASS | %s %s\n", oplabel, pagelabel);
      } else {
        printf("TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | %s %s\n", oplabel, pagelabel);
        failed = true;
      }
    } __except (EXCEPTION_EXECUTE_HANDLER) {
      // Unfortunately, there is no equivalent of strsignal().
      DWORD code = GetExceptionCode();
      if (should_succeed) {
        printf("TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | %s %s | exception code %x\n",
               oplabel, pagelabel, code);
        failed = true;
      } else {
        printf("TEST-PASS | %s %s | exception code %x\n",
               oplabel, pagelabel, code);
      }
    }
#else
    pid_t pid = fork();
    if (pid == -1) {
      printf("ERROR | %s %s | fork=%s\n", oplabel, pagelabel,
             LastErrMsg());
      exit(2);
    } else if (pid == 0) {
      volatile unsigned char scratch;
      switch (test) {
      case 0: scratch = *(volatile unsigned char *)opaddr; break;
      case 1: JumpTo(opaddr); break;
      case 2: *(volatile unsigned char *)opaddr = 0; break;
      default: abort();
      }
      _exit(0);
    } else {
      int status;
      if (waitpid(pid, &status, 0) != pid) {
        printf("ERROR | %s %s | wait=%s\n", oplabel, pagelabel,
               LastErrMsg());
        exit(2);
      }

      if (WIFEXITED(status) && WEXITSTATUS(status) == 0) {
        if (should_succeed) {
          printf("TEST-PASS | %s %s\n", oplabel, pagelabel);
        } else {
          printf("TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | %s %s\n", oplabel, pagelabel);
          failed = true;
        }
      } else if (WIFEXITED(status)) {
        printf("ERROR | %s %s | unexpected exit code %d\n",
               oplabel, pagelabel, WEXITSTATUS(status));
        exit(2);
      } else if (WIFSIGNALED(status)) {
        if (should_succeed) {
          printf("TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | %s %s | %s\n",
                 oplabel, pagelabel, strsignal(WTERMSIG(status)));
          failed = true;
        } else {
          printf("TEST-PASS | %s %s | %s\n",
                 oplabel, pagelabel, strsignal(WTERMSIG(status)));
        }
      } else {
        printf("ERROR | %s %s | unexpected exit status %d\n",
               oplabel, pagelabel, status);
        exit(2);
      }
    }
#endif
  }
  return failed;
}

int
main()
{
#ifdef _WIN32
  GetSystemInfo(&_sinfo);
#else
  _pagesize = sysconf(_SC_PAGESIZE);
#endif

  uintptr_t ncontrol = ReserveNegativeControl();
  uintptr_t pcontrol = ReservePositiveControl();
  uintptr_t poison = ReservePoisonArea();

  if (!ncontrol || !pcontrol || !poison)
    return 2;

  bool failed = false;
  failed |= TestPage("negative control", ncontrol, 1);
  failed |= TestPage("positive control", pcontrol, 0);
  failed |= TestPage("poison area", poison, 0);

  return failed ? 1 : 0;
}