Re: Re: Installation of Debian under z/VM 530

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:47:33 -0400 (EDT), Alain Benvéniste wrote:

> Thanks to give me some light !
>
> OK.  I want to install a free Linux to learn by myself the basics to follow
> the market...
> I will never have a Linux from my employee.

I assume you meant to say "employer" instead of "employee".

> So I have to follow my idea
> without any help from him.
> So YES, I can¹t access the WEB in extranet point of view.  I can¹t even use
> HTTP in intranet for security reasons.

That does put you at a disadvantage.

> It explains my approach to ask if it is possible to use my VM first level as
> a FTP server to install Debian.

In theory, it seems like it should be possible.  Your VM system's FTP
server should be able to serve up the files.  The two main requirements
are (1) Getting the files onto the FTP server in the first place, which
could be tricky since you can't access the internet.  (2) Making sure
that your FTP server supports anonymous FTP.  By default, a VM FTP server
does not support anonymous FTP, but the Debian installer uses anonymous
FTP.  I've never done anything like this; so you're on your own.  What
worries me the most is the preservation of the Rock Ridge extensions.
You will probably need to use a BFS server to store the data.  Files
on CMS minidisks or in SFS servers aren't going to cut it.

The installation manual does not provide much information
on this topic.  Here's what it says.

-----

3.6.4. Setting up an installation server

If you don't have a connection to the Internet (either directly or via
a web proxy) you need to create a local installation server that can be
accessed from your S/390.  This server keeps all the packages you want
to install and must make them available using NFS, HTTP or FTP.

The installation server needs to copy the exact directory structure from
any Debian GNU/Linux mirror, but only the s390 and architecture-independent
files are required.  You can also copy the contents of all installation
CDs into such a directory tree.

-----

Basically, you would be setting up an internal Debian mirror, except that
there is no provision to sync up when the external mirrors change.  And
of course there will be no security or volatile updates, nor any updates
of testing or sid, nor stable point release updates.

I am fortunate enough to be at an installation where connectivity to
the external internet is available to my VM system; so I never had to
deal with your situation.  I'm afraid I have no experience in that
particular aspect of your installation problem.  Good luck.

Please report back if you are successful, with details of what you
did and how you did it, and a list of pitfalls to avoid.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :