Re: loader varialbe in kernel maintainer scripts

On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 20:37 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 18:11:04 -0400 (EDT), Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:33:58PM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> I can maybe accept your proposal for Squeeze.  But for Lenny, I believe
> >> that the maintainer scripts should be changed back they way they
> >> were.  In other words,
> >>
> >>    my $loader            = "lilo"; # lilo, silo, quik, palo, vmelilo, nettrom, arcboot, or delo
> >>
> >> should be set in the maintainer scripts.  After all, Lenny does
> >> not have the generalized hook script environment that Squeeze does.
> >
> > But it does allow users to configure the loader to be run, using either
> > the 'loader' or 'postinst_hook' variable.
>
> And how would one go about setting this "loader" variable?
> The "loader" variable is not documented in the man page for
> /etc/kernel-img.conf in Lenny, which appears to be the closest thing
> there is to documentation for the variables supported by official
> Debian stock kernel images.  Nevertheless, at your suggestion, I tried
> putting
>
>    loader = lilo
>
> in /etc/kernel-img.conf.  ("do_bootloader = yes" was also set.)  Then I
> issued
>
>    dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.26-2-686
>
> There was no evidence from the output that lilo was run.
[...]

I'm sorry, you're right.  Most of the other variables at the top of the
postinst script can be overridden by /etc/kernel-img.conf, but not this
one.  Given that, I think you are right that the 'historical' bootloader
setting should be restored in an update to lenny.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings