FW: Installation Question

Update:  With no other changes Suse 10.1 recognizes the disk.  What is the difference in the install processes - as it relates to disk discovery?

Thanks,   ..........Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Powell [mailto:zlinuxman@wowway.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 1:17 PM
To: debian-s390@lists.debian.org
Subject: RE: Installation Question

On 2009-12-23, Marry Martin wrote:
> Unfortunately the list is empty (recognizes none) and then prompts me
> to enter an address, which, of course fails.
>
> Thanks again,  ..............Larry

When you get to the screen that is supposed to show the recognized
dasd devices, and nothing shows up, open another SSH session in
another window on your desktop.  Login as "installer" using the
password that you specified earlier, but don't run the installer
menu.  Instead, escape to a shell.  First of all, make sure that
the dasd drivers are loaded

# lsmod

You should see both "dasd_mod" and "dasd_eckd_mod" as loaded modules.
If not, manually load them with modprobe.  If that doesn't work,
you've got serious problems.  Did you mess with the installer components
to be downloaded?  Did you deselect some of them?

If both modules are loaded, issue

# cd /sys/bus/ccw/devices
# ls -Al|more

You should see a directory listed for each device number recognized,
regardless of whether it is dasd or not.  It will be of the form
0.0.nnnn, where "nnnn" is a hexadecimal number.  (Note that hex
digits a-f are lower case!)  See if the device is listed there.  If
it is, cd to that directory.  For example,

# cd 0.0.108e
# ls -Al

You can check the values of these variables with "cat".  For example,

# cat online

If it responds with "0", then the device was recognized, but it is offline.
Check the "use_diag" and "readonly" variables to make sure they are zero
as well, then try to set the device online with

# echo 1 >online

Then verify that it came online with another

# cat online

This time, it should say "1", which means that it is online.  If this
works, do the same for your other volume:

# cd ../0.0.108f
.
.
.

If that works, then come back to the original install session, select
"Back", then invoke that step again.  With luck, it will find the dasd
devices now.

P.S. Please do not attach my entire original e-mail at the end of your
above your response.  Also, please try to keep your input lines to a
maximum of 80 characters.  Thanks.