Re: Sparc release requalification

Bastian Blank a écrit :
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 01:16:36PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
>> I did speak with Martin Zobel at Debconf on how to get there, having two proposals:
>>  - define a new sparc64 port, and bootstrap this one using the 32bit port.
>
> This is rather easy. I already did a s390x bootstrap using this method.

If we are not sure that sparc and s390 (ie 32-bit versions) would be
suitable for squeeze, this is almost sure they won't be suitable for
squeeze+1.

Isn't it the right moment to start a sparc64 and an s390x port, and if
they are ready for squeeze release with them? Almost whatever upgrade
solution you offer will require to have at least one release with both
old and new architecture (like we did for arm -> armel).

Given that we already have sparc and s390 in the archive and that we
also already have 64-bit ports, I don't expect any major problem for
those new ports. Also given quite fast hardware exists for those
architectures, it can probably be done relatively quickly.

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73