Re: Sparc release requalification

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 10:45:46AM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 07:09:44AM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 04:33:32PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > > If I understand this correctly, this would need the modification off all
> > > library packages to implement biarch semantic.
> > ... which will be needed anyways. So your choice is actually between
> > doing it and doing it plus some extra intermediate work.
> No, we don't need to do that. Thats what is multiarch for.

It's not intended that multiarch supports switching architectures.  Of course
it would help to import some 64bit packages selectively from a sparc64 port
but most of your binaries would still be 32bit with the only partially supported
code generation?  Even on a rebuild you would have to pull in the 64bit
libs in a way you build against them by default?  (Or would that boil down
to passing another DEB_*_ARCH so that config.guess targets 64bit and stuffing
that into simple packages with arch:sparc?)

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern
--
 .''`.  Philipp Kern                        Debian Developer
: :' :  http://philkern.de                         Stable Release Manager